D'Mani Mellor celebrates scoring his first competitive under-23 goal since 2019
D’Mani Mellor’s comeback story has come full circle. The young striker scored for Manchester United under-23s in the opening game of the season on Sunday.
Mellor has just recovered from a torn ACL which kept him out all of 2020/21.
Add in the suspension of the second half of the previous season due to lockdown, and Mellor had not scored a competitive under-23 goal since December 2019.
Mellor had netted in a warm-up friendly match last week, his first appearance since February 2020.
The 20-year-old was handed a start in the under-23s opening game of the season, a sign of confidence from the coaching staff in both his ability and his fitness.
Mellor repaid United by scoring once in the 2-2 draw with Leicester City, with Charlie McNeill also on the scoresheet.
The youngster sent a message out after the draw, focusing on the result first, while also celebrating getting on the scoresheet.
James Garner, Ethan Galbraith, and Mason Greenwood were among the players to congratulate Mellor on his goal. All three have previously played with the youngster at youth level for United.
United confirmed last week that Mellor has been handed a new contract. His previous deal had been set to expire this summer.
The club want to do right by him after his injury and that means giving him an extra season at least to get his career back on track.
It is quite possible Mellor ends this summer going out on loan, if there are takers.
United have younger forwards like McNeill, Joe Hugill and Mateo Mejia battling for game time at under-23 level.
But for as long as Mellor stays, he will be determined to make the most of his second chance and his goal was worth the wait.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out
- 'Technical ability is frightening': Teammate raves about player Manchester United let go this summer
- 'It was ready'… Manchester United star visited Real Madrid ahead of potential transfer, says former agent
- Manchester United star has already proved he was right to snub £17m City move, now he must show them
- Manchester United star thrilled to win award he did not know existed
- Opinion: Ten Hag must be considering brave call to start 20-year-old in Manchester derby
- One year since his worst Manchester United moment, 23-year-old is at career high point
- 'He's promised'… Manchester United star's mum says she hopes he signs with former club
- Dutch football expert explains why Antony and Lisandro Martinez could dominate Manchester derby
- Report: Two Manchester United players have not trained fully this week and could now miss the derby
- Roberto Carlos explains why he'd have liked to play alongside two Manchester United stars