Alvaro and Hugill debuts for under-18s show United academy recruitment plan is working
There is no debate that Manchester United’s summer transfer business has so far been very underwhelming.
One area where the club have been active is in signing new academy players.
Already, two of them have made a big early impact in United’s opening two under-18 matches.
Alvaro Fernandez Carreras was the latest to do so at the weekend, making his first start at left-back.
He put in a complete performance as United beat Burnley 5-1. He even got onto the scoresheet, firing an impressive strike with his right foot into the top corner.
Alvaro looks like a top young player already, and has shown why Real Madrid wanted to keep him.
He is a very attacking young player who is confident in his own ability, capable of offering a threat on the overlap, or cutting inside and switching play.
It will not be long before he makes the step up to play under-23 football.
Joe Hugill has already done that. After just one match winning performance for the under-18s, Hugill found himself promoted.
The 16-year-old scored both goals a week ago as United beat Blackburn. He then came off the bench in United’s under-23 clash against Liverpool on Friday night.
Hugill signed from Sunderland in the summer, and his early impact shows how United are having success looking at talent in this country as well as signing players from abroad.
Last summer United landed Hannibal Mejbri and Dillon Hoogewerf from France and Spain, in addition to signing players from Holland and Sweden.
This time around the club have looked to Spain, Norway, and the Czech Republic to bring in talent.
Alejandro Garnacho and Marc Jurado are still to make their debuts, while a reported move for Charlie McNeill [MEN] is still waiting to be made official.
These moves are United playing the long game, looking to strengthen the academy with a view to helping the first team in a few years time.
It is still early days, but it looks like United have made a series of very strong additions.
Manchester United’s academy signings in 2020
- Radek Vitek
Goalkeeper (Sigma Olomouc)
- Logan Pye
- Joe Hugill
- Isak Hansen-Aaroen
- Marc Jurado
- Alvaro Carreras
Left-back (Real Madrid)
- Alejandro Garnacho
Striker (Atletico Madrid)
- Charlie McNeill
Striker (Manchester City)
- Willy Kambwala
- Nemanja Matic tells Manchester United fans an absolute diamond is coming through who has surprised him
- 21-year-old striker confirms Manchester United exit on Instagram
- 'Monster' ex Manchester United centre-back used to demand to train 1 v 2
- Manchester United transfer target nicknamed 'the butcher of Amsterdam', he shut Haaland down
- Manchester United loanee backed to 'score lots of goals' under Erik ten Hag
- Manchester United should listen to Ten Hag's words and offer swap deal to get Antony: Opinion
- Manchester United star says he can't relax this summer due to Ten Hag arrival
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends