Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes is celebrating after winning the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year Award.
It is the second season in succession Fernandes has won the award.
Fernandes had scored 28 goals and provided 17 assists to earn the gong, with 63 per cent of the fan votes.
Fernandes is in elite company as one of nine United players to win the award back to back.
The Sir Matt Busby Award has existed in it’s current form since 1987/88. Beforehand it was known as the Sharp Player of the Year Award, and before that, beginning in 1971, the Manchester United Supporters’ Club Player of the Year Award.
In the years since, nine players have now won it in consecutive years, with one player doing so three years in a row.
- Willie Morgan 71/72 and 72/73
- Lou Macari 74/75 and 75/76
- Joe Jordan 79/80 and 80/81
- Paul McGrath 85/86 and 86/97
- Roy Keane 98/99 and 99/00
- Ruud van Nistelrooy 01/02 and 02/03
- Cristiano Ronaldo 06/07 and 07/08
- David de Gea 13/14, 14/15 and 15/16
- Bruno Fernandes 19/20 and 20/21
De Gea won the award three years in a row and then a fourth time in 2017/18, with Ander Herrera breaking his run in 2016/17.
Wayne Rooney and Eric Cantona both won the award but not in consecutive seasons.
Fernandes follows Ruud van Nistelrooy in winning the award two years in a row in his first two seasons as a Manchester United player.
He is the first United midfielder to win the award back to back since Roy Keane.
It was quite an achievement for Fernandes to win the award in his first season, in which he arrived midway through, inspiring United’s turnaround in form.
This campaign he has lived up to his own high standards, and he will be a strong contender for the PFA Premier League Player of the Year Award.
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap
- Lothar Matthaus praises Ronaldo’s Manchester United transfer