A new name has been linked with a move to Manchester United and the player is Faitout Maouassa.
French newspaper L’Equipe report United have been impressed by his progress this season.
So who is Mouassa and is he a player United are genuinely considering?
Here is a look at five facts about the promising talent…
- Faitout Maouassa plays for French club Rennes and has become a regular, after a loan spell at Nimes.
- The 21-year-old is a left-back and he has made 32 appearances this season, scoring three goals. Two of these came in his last three matches before the break
- Maouassa has also played Europa League football this season and provided an assist for Rennes against Celtic. Like Aaron Wan-Bissaka, he began his career as a winger before converting to full-back.
- He is at the centre of a tug-of-war at international level. Maouassa has played for France up until under-21 level, but was recently named in DR Congo’s senior squad. He declined the call-up, saying he was focusing on his club football.
- Rennes paid seven million Euros to sign Maouassa as a teenager and his contract runs out next summer, meaning he could be available at a bargain price. L’Equipe‘s report says he could cost just £10 million.
Do United need him?
A move for a left-back is not considered to be a priority for Manchester United after Brandon Williams’ emergence.
But if United do strengthen at the position, Maouassa is an ideal candidate. He is very talented, and is cheap, meaning he could come in as a prospect and try to fight his way into the first team.
Both Luke Shaw and Brandon Williams have played in different positions this season, Shaw at centre-back and Williams at right-back. If United want them to continue to be versatile, then Maouassa would be a good signing as cover.
He could come in useful too if United want to play Shaw and Williams in the same XI, as happened this past season. This leaves little room for rotation and rest if this is Solskjaer’s preferred option.
United have more important transfer moves to focus on, and Maouassa will be down the list. Nonetheless, he is an interesting prospect to keep an eye on.
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham
- 'This is Manchester United'…Defender with 4 tackles and 2 key passes celebrates vital win