Harry Maguire had a debut to remember for Manchester United.
The former Leicester City star showed no sign of being behind after missing out on our pre-season.
He started alongside Victor Lindelöf and the pair have the makings of a great United partnership.
Maguire was superb defensively and looked a threat from attacking set pieces too.
He was integral in United’s second goal, winning a challenge with Tammy Abraham and passing the ball out for a counter attack.
It sparked a move which led to Andreas Pereira crossing for Anthony Martial to score a decisive second goal.
The passage of play showed in one decisive move why United paid so much money to sign him.
Beginning with a clean sheet was so important for this new look back four. We only kept two at Old Trafford in the league last season.
Maguire, wearing his all black boots, looks like he was made to defend.
Already he looks like an immediate upgrade at the position.
He was given Sky’s man-of-the-match, although we went for Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Maguire made four interceptions, seven clearances and two blocks, note whoscored.com.
He completed 84 per cent of his passes, even creating one chance when he got into the opposition box.
Maguire also won four aerial duels, the same as the rest of the defence combined.
Maguire himself had a message for fans after the game.
United fans loved seeing Maguire in action…
- Manchester United takeover bidder Thomas Zilliacus explains his plans
- Denzel Dumfries changes agents amid Manchester United interest and possible summer move
- Scott McTominay scores twice to fire Scotland to famous win over Spain
- Anthony Martial sends message to Anthony Elanga after Sweden goal
- Dutch legend offers worrying assessment on Wout Weghorst displays for club and country