Manchester United have triggered Nemanja Matic’s contract extension, BBC Sport report.
The deal runs until 2021 and gives Matic important security at a testing time for everybody.
Discussions are also ongoing to give Matic an even longer contract. The important aspect is, his future is secure for now at least for an extra year.
Had risked leaving it late
We had earlier written that United could have ended up wishing this contract extension was tied up earlier.
The abrupt pause to the football season leaves a risk of the season being played beyond June, and would have plunged Matic into uncertainty.
Fortunately it seems the framework of a deal was already in place and United have now activated the extension.
Matic has started 20 games for United this season, resulting in 14 clean sheets.
The defensive midfielder has been written off a number of times since his £40 million move from Chelsea and has come back stronger each time.
Right now he looks better than ever and it would have been a poor business and sporting decision to let him leave on a free.
United are getting the best out of Matic because he is being rotated sensibly, playing once a week.
This may provide an avenue for a younger midfielder to sign and be eased in as his successor, but for now, he is not going anywhere.
- Reaction as Manchester United set to net £5m loan fee with Anthony Martial exit agreed
- Manager “really pleased” with Manchester United loanee's performances vs league's best
- 7 players who could leave Manchester United before the transfer deadline
- 10 things we learned from Ralf Rangnick's first 10 games in charge at Manchester United
- Ranking Marcus Rashford's 4 Manchester United injury time winning goals