Loan moves can be hit and miss – as the 12 Manchester United players out on loan are finding out this season.
James Garner has thrived at Watford while Dylan Levitt has found it more tough going at Charlton.
While some of the players out on loan could see their clubs switched, United will also be exploring which other players could benefit from the challenge of leaving the academy for new temporary clubs.
Here is a look at three players who for varying reasons, would benefit from a loan move away from Old Trafford.
Young Italian defender Luca Ercolani is in the final year of his contract until it expires.
Realistically, the 21-year-old is not going to make it as a first team player at this point.
So rather than spend his last few months as a United player in the under-23s, where he has been in and out of the side, he should try to secure a loan move.
This will make Ercolani a better player long-term, and potentially give him a head-start on finding a new club.
England youth goalkeeper Paul Woolston has been playing well for the under-23s lately.
However, to say the goalkeeping position at United is overcrowded, would be an understatement.
Woolston, 22, needs to be getting experience at first team level, and United have Nathan Bishop or Ondrej Mastny who can drop in.
An impressive loan spell can help Woolston try to stand out and make a name for himself.
Anthony Elanga has been in sensational form for the under-23s this season, scoring six goals already.
He is not quite at the first team stage just yet, so United should try to put him in a position to make the leap.
United should consider sending Elanga out on loan to a club in Holland or Portugal for the second half of the season to try and accelerate his development.
Strong showings could put young winger Elanga in position for a first team push next season, and his exit would give Noam Emeran a chance to step up to the under-23s.
Manchester United loan exits 20/21
- Aliou Traore
SM Caen (season)
- Joel Pereira
Huddersfield Town (season)
- Andreas Pereira
- Diogo Dalot
AC Milan (season)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Salford City (until end of season)
- Jake Carney
- Ethan Laird
MK Dons (Jan to end of season)
- Jesse Lingard
West Ham (Jan to end of season)
- James Garner
Nottingham Forest (Jan to end of season)
- Tahith Chong
Club Brugge (Jan to end of season)
- Facundo Pellistri
Alaves (Jan to end of season)
- Teden Mengi
Derby (Jan to end of season)
- Dylan Levitt
NK Istra (Feb to end of season)
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants ‘complete’ midfielders in his United side
- Cavani not ready for West Ham clash but will hopefully return next week
- Recent United target Eduardo Camavinga makes flying start at Madrid
- West Ham’s Croatia trip gives Manchester United a rare advantage
- Patrice Evra reacts to reports Cristiano Ronaldo moved home due to ‘noisy sheep’
- How will James Garner be affected by Nottingham Forest sacking Hughton?
- Raphael Varane’s freakishly unlucky Champions League opening game record
- Manchester United’s ‘What If…?’ moment: Jude Bellingham would have completed Red Devils team
- German press react to Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United