Three young Manchester United players who need a loan move
Loan moves can be hit and miss – as the 12 Manchester United players out on loan are finding out this season.
James Garner has thrived at Watford while Dylan Levitt has found it more tough going at Charlton.
While some of the players out on loan could see their clubs switched, United will also be exploring which other players could benefit from the challenge of leaving the academy for new temporary clubs.
Here is a look at three players who for varying reasons, would benefit from a loan move away from Old Trafford.
Young Italian defender Luca Ercolani is in the final year of his contract until it expires.
Realistically, the 21-year-old is not going to make it as a first team player at this point.
So rather than spend his last few months as a United player in the under-23s, where he has been in and out of the side, he should try to secure a loan move.
This will make Ercolani a better player long-term, and potentially give him a head-start on finding a new club.
England youth goalkeeper Paul Woolston has been playing well for the under-23s lately.
However, to say the goalkeeping position at United is overcrowded, would be an understatement.
Woolston, 22, needs to be getting experience at first team level, and United have Nathan Bishop or Ondrej Mastny who can drop in.
An impressive loan spell can help Woolston try to stand out and make a name for himself.
Anthony Elanga has been in sensational form for the under-23s this season, scoring six goals already.
He is not quite at the first team stage just yet, so United should try to put him in a position to make the leap.
United should consider sending Elanga out on loan to a club in Holland or Portugal for the second half of the season to try and accelerate his development.
Strong showings could put young winger Elanga in position for a first team push next season, and his exit would give Noam Emeran a chance to step up to the under-23s.
Manchester United loan exits 20/21
- Aliou Traore
SM Caen (season)
- Joel Pereira
Huddersfield Town (season)
- Andreas Pereira
- Diogo Dalot
AC Milan (season)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Salford City (until end of season)
- Jake Carney
- Ethan Laird
MK Dons (Jan to end of season)
- Jesse Lingard
West Ham (Jan to end of season)
- James Garner
Nottingham Forest (Jan to end of season)
- Tahith Chong
Club Brugge (Jan to end of season)
- Facundo Pellistri
Alaves (Jan to end of season)
- Teden Mengi
Derby (Jan to end of season)
- Dylan Levitt
NK Istra (Feb to end of season)
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure