Teden Mengi sends message after signing new Manchester United contract
Manchester United’s commitment to youth talent has continued. Teden Mengi has become the third academy player this week to sign a new contract.
The club announced the contract this morning via the club’s official website.
Mengi sent a message out expressing his excitement at signing the new contract.
Mengi follows Hannibal Mejbri and Anthony Elanga in signing new contracts this week. Shola Shoretire also signed an extension last month.
PA report Mengi’s deal will run until 2024 with an option to extend until 2025.
We wrote how this commitment to locking down top talents shows United are learning from past mistakes with Paul Pogba, and more recently Angel Gomes.
Mengi is out on loan at Derby County at present, and featured last night in a 2-2 draw against Brentford.
Derby were 2-0 down and brought Mengi on at half-time before fighting back to secure a draw.
The teenager is regarded among United’s top prospects and made his first team debut in August 2020 as a substitute in the Europa League against LASK.
Last season he captained United’s under-18s to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals and has regularly trained with the first team.
Another loan could be in the pipeline for next season. Mengi’s new contract gives United extra security.
- Attacking star Ten Hag managed asks lawyer to find new club amid Manchester United links
- New twist in future of Manchester United star with no goals in nearly 7 months
- £35m star is ideal signing and Manchester United have already made a crucial error
- Report suggests Manchester United could sign midfield star who's 'better than Pogba' for £42 million
- 21-year-old Manchester United ace set for season-long loan to Championship side after initial move collapses