Manchester United’s commitment to youth talent has continued. Teden Mengi has become the third academy player this week to sign a new contract.
The club announced the contract this morning via the club’s official website.
Mengi sent a message out expressing his excitement at signing the new contract.
Mengi follows Hannibal Mejbri and Anthony Elanga in signing new contracts this week. Shola Shoretire also signed an extension last month.
PA report Mengi’s deal will run until 2024 with an option to extend until 2025.
We wrote how this commitment to locking down top talents shows United are learning from past mistakes with Paul Pogba, and more recently Angel Gomes.
Mengi is out on loan at Derby County at present, and featured last night in a 2-2 draw against Brentford.
Derby were 2-0 down and brought Mengi on at half-time before fighting back to secure a draw.
The teenager is regarded among United’s top prospects and made his first team debut in August 2020 as a substitute in the Europa League against LASK.
Last season he captained United’s under-18s to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals and has regularly trained with the first team.
Another loan could be in the pipeline for next season. Mengi’s new contract gives United extra security.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool