Manchester United’s options were stretched for Thursday night’s Europa League clash with Real Sociedad.
Help could be on the way. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told BT Sport after the game he was hopeful there will be positive injury news on the horizon.
Solskjaer said ‘we hope’ Donny van de Beek, Scott McTominay, and Edinson Cavani will all be available.
It depends of course on fitness tests to take place on Friday, but it is good to hear him be optimistic.
Solskjaer did say Paul Pogba will not be available, despite him returning to light training earlier this week.
Who could start?
Getting Cavani back would make such a huge difference if he is available.
Anthony Martial could not take his chance once again last night, and Mason Greenwood also struggled to make an impact.
Cavani is a superior option and it was sensible to hold him back for the Chelsea game rather than risk him here.
Scott McTominay is also a probable starter if fit. Nemanja Matic played well last night, but will he really start three games in eight days?
It would be preferable to start McTominay alongside Fred if he is fully fit.
Donny van de Beek is probably only going to be on the bench if he is passed fit, but it would be good to have him as an option regardless.
He scored on his last visit to Stamford Bridge with Ajax last season, and a goal from the bench would be a great way to re-announce himself to the United team after a disappointing season to date.
Solskjaer should give further updates on the trio in his press conference, but he sounded fairly optimistic in his post-game interview.
After not mentioning their availability for Sunday at all in the run-up to the Sociedad game, this is the first good sign he has given.
- Ralf Rangnick says Manchester United have a ‘great player’ who needs to improve physically
- 'Over the moon': Manchester United wonderkid gives verdict on own performance and club's Champions League chances
- Rangnick praises two Manchester United players including one who is a 'fantastic person'
- 'I lost the ball'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for role in Young Boys goal
- 'You deserve'… Bruno Fernandes congratulates teammate on making Manchester United debut
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut