Manchester United are in pole position to sign Jadon Sancho, according to ESPN.
United of course spent much of last summer chasing the England international, to no avail.
But the report claims that United believe those talks will give them a head start this summer.
And it is believed that Dortmund will lower their asking price from the 120 million euros (£103 million) they wanted back then.
Sancho may just have found the perfect way to sign off in Dortmund.
Last night, he scored twice before half time as Dortmund thumped RB Leipzig 4-1 to win the DFB-Pokal – the German Cup.
Sancho won the 2017 Under 20 World Cup with England but this is by far the biggest club trophy he has lifted.
Given Bayern Munich’s dominance of the Bundesliga, it could be argued that winning the cup is the height of Dortmund’s ambitions in terms of silverware every season.
The ESPN report claims that Sancho is keen to come back to England. It could be argued that he has now achieved all he realistically can expect to in Germany, given Bayern’s Bundesliga dominance.
The Dortmund model relies on selling players and it seems it could be Sancho this summer and then Erling Haaland the next, when his release clause kicks in.
If United can avoid last summer’s protracted negotiations, picking up where they left off and then agreeing a more reasonable fee with Dortmund, Sancho might finally make the move in the coming months.
And delivering silverware for the club who have developed him so much would be the ideal way to sign off.
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance