Roberto Carlos and Cristiano Ronaldo praise Raphael Varane's performance
Raphael Varane returned to Manchester United’s starting line up on Saturday and played like he had been at the club for years.
The France international is a total class act, and it showed, with United keeping a clean sheet.
Varane’s display demonstrated a combination of composure and decisiveness, helping United adapt to a three at the back formation the side had not utilised since last December.
United’s attackers took many of the plaudits, but it was Varane’s contribution to the defence which took the pressure off the frontline, and allowed them to pick Tottenham off.
Cristiano Ronaldo responded to Varane’s Instagram post to show he appreciated his performance, and Brazilian legend Roberto Carlos also expressed how impressed he was too.
Ronaldo also appreciated Fernandes
Ronaldo also left a message in response to Bruno Fernandes in relation to his contribution.
Fernandes provided the assist for Ronaldo’s goal with a defence splitting pass which saw the forward lose his marker and score a phenomenal volley.
It was just the second goal Fernandes had set up for Ronaldo since he arrived, although the pair have threatened to come close several other times.
Ronaldo now has seven goals in nine total appearances and he is showing he has still got the quality United hoped he would bring.
Fernandes’ pass showed that if the team create the right opportunities, Ronaldo will put them away.
- Manchester United look to accelerate 24-year-old's departure to reunite Ten Hag with 17-time international
- Manchester United wonderkid set to become 7th Reds youngster to join Championship side on loan in PL era
- Guillem Balague says Cristiano Ronaldo departure from Manchester United being worked on
- Manchester United prepared to wait until deadline day to sell 28-year-old on permanent deal
- Mick Beale explains why QPR fans should be “really excited” about Manchester United loanee Ethan Laird
- 26-year-old Manchester United ace gives Erik ten Hag timely boost
- Erik ten Hag could be about to have his own Danny Welbeck moment
- 'I would never'… Pundit warns over 'very dangerous' Manchester United signing strategy
- 'Big moments'… One Manchester United owned player ended weekend with manager signing his praises