Manchester United’s players have a late January break scheduled for the end of the month, with no games taking place between the 22nd and February 4.
During this time South American stars Fred, Alex Telles and Edinson Cavani will play World Cup qualifiers, after some were postponed last year.
But for most players there will be a well-earned break.
According to The Mail, previous boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had planned for the squad to go on a winter break in Dubai.
New interim boss Ralf Rangnick is expected to cancel the trip, with concerns over Covid among his reasons. The paper report ‘it appears unlikely’ the warm-weather training camp will go ahead, although no official decision had been taken.
United could look for an alternative a little closer, with Solskjaer previously taking the squad to Portugal in early February 2020.
Rangnick however seems to like Carrington, ordering Paul Pogba back early from his individual trip to Dubai while out injured. It’s unclear how the manager’s expected decision will go down with a squad already with brittle morale.
A trip away and a bit of bonding might be exactly what this side need, but admittedly, the timing is not all that convenient, with the trip close to the transfer window.
Flying to Dubai for a training camp would be an unnecessary complication for players looking to leave the club at the deadline like Dean Henderson and Anthony Martial.
United’s first match after the break is the FA Cup tie at Old Trafford against Middlesbrough. Before the break the side face Aston Villa, Brentford and West Ham in the Premier League.
- Photo: Martial points to Sevilla badge after signing deal, squad number unveiled, Rashford reacts
- Done deal: Sevilla confirm loan signing of Anthony Martial
- Denis Irwin gives his verdict on Manchester United's competition for places
- Who is the winger with £67m release clause Manchester United are linked with signing?
- 'Good deal'… Rio Ferdinand gives his verdict on Manchester United star's loan exit