Predicted Manchester United line-up v Sheffield United
Manchester United take on Sheffield United at Bramall Lane tonight.
The match is a big opportunity to move up the table with teams around us dropping points.
Sheffield United have just one point this season, which means they are there for the taking and United should have an attacking approach.
This means United should forget the 3-4-1-2 which United used at the start at Bramall Lane last season. There is little need for a two-man pivot in a 4-2-3-1 either.
United played a 4-4-2 diamond at home to City and this should be repeated here, with consistency one bonus added factor of sticking with the same formation. This is simply the best one to maximise United’s attacking personnel.
Changes to be made
Anthony Martial is fit again and he will likely come in for Mason Greenwood and partner Marcus Rashford up front.
Martial bagged a hat-trick in his last match against the Blades and going up against them tonight could re-spark his confidence.
United must also prioritise getting Donny van de Beek back into the starting line-up for this fixture.
The beauty of the four-man midfield means Paul Pogba, Bruno Fernandes and Fred can all retain their places while Van de Beek comes in.
It would be Scott McTominay dropping out, with neither he or Nemanja Matic required from the start in this fixture.
Defensively there is potential to make a couple of changes at full-back.
Alex Telles should get a chance again after sitting out the previous game and his deliveries could help Martial and Rashford thrive.
There is also a case to bring Brandon Williams in at right-back to give Aaron Wan-Bissaka a rest ahead of a busy schedule.
Williams featured for the under-23s at the weekend to get some game time. That could well have been preparation for a first team appearance.
A couple of extra changes under consideration
There is a case for Dean Henderson to get the start against his former club; he knows them well.
Henderson will be starting the Carabao Cup quarter-final next week, so in all probability it will likely be David de Gea tonight.
Another factor is whether Solskjaer mixes up his centre-backs for the first time in the Premier League since the 6-1 defeat to Tottenham.
This fixture might be a good game for Axel Tuanzebe to come in and give Victor Lindelof a break.
- 3 radical decisions Erik ten Hag should consider to get Manchester United back on track
- Manchester United look to accelerate 24-year-old's departure to reunite Ten Hag with 17-time international
- Manchester United wonderkid set to become 7th Reds youngster to join Championship side on loan in PL era
- Guillem Balague says Cristiano Ronaldo departure from Manchester United being worked on
- Manchester United prepared to wait until deadline day to sell 28-year-old on permanent deal
- Mick Beale explains why QPR fans should be “really excited” about Manchester United loanee Ethan Laird
- 26-year-old Manchester United ace gives Erik ten Hag timely boost
- Erik ten Hag could be about to have his own Danny Welbeck moment
- 'I would never'… Pundit warns over 'very dangerous' Manchester United signing strategy