Mourinho says Dean Henderson will be 'phenomenal'
Former Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has tipped Dean Henderson to right to the very top of the game.
Mourinho ran the rule over England’s squad for Euro 2020 in the Times and recounted his experience of working with Henderson at Old Trafford.
He hailed Henderson’s belief and self-confidence, claiming that while he isn’t the finished article yet, he will be ‘phenomenal’ in future.
“I think they are good goalkeepers,” said Mourinho of England’s options.
“I don’t think they are phenomenal goalkeepers or, in Dean Henderson’s case, not yet phenomenal.
“When I say not yet, I say he will be. I met him at [Manchester] United when he was a kid and I always remember him asking me to go on loan. He was saying when I come back, I come back to be the number one.
“He told me that when he was the fourth choice. He is a kid with an incredible self confidence and I think he is ready.”
Will Henderson overtake de Gea?
There has been plenty of talk about whether United’s Europa League final loss would have panned out differently if Henderson had come on for David de Gea in extra time.
Henderson represents the future, an academy graduate with the talent and confidence to go all the way to the top.
The issue is that de Gea is one of the club’s highest earners and would be a very expensive substitute if Henderson got an extended run in the team.
If Henderson establishes himself as United number one next season, he’s got every chance of becoming the Three Lions’ first choice stopper too.
- 21-year-old striker confirms Manchester United exit on Instagram
- 'Monster' ex Manchester United centre-back used to demand to train 1 v 2
- Manchester United transfer target nicknamed 'the butcher of Amsterdam', he shut Haaland down
- Manchester United loanee backed to 'score lots of goals' under Erik ten Hag
- Manchester United should listen to Ten Hag's words and offer swap deal to get Antony: Opinion