Mason Greenwood was electric in Manchester United’s 5-1 victory over Leeds and wrote his name in history in the process as he struck his 30th career goal for United.
Only two other players in club history have scored 30 goals before they reached 20-years-old.
Greenwood had started all four of United’s pre-season games and his hard work paid off with a fantastic start to the season.
The forward started up front but he was everywhere. Greenwood ran the channels like Edinson Cavani and dropped deep to mix in with the build-up play.
He pressured Leeds into an early error which nearly resulted in a goal to break the deadlock.
Greenwood’s big moment came in the second half when he was played in by Paul Pogba and his blistering pace showed, along with his close control and lethal shooting ability.
From the left, Greenwood arrowed a shot into the bottom corner past Illan Meslier to put United 2-1 up. The team never looked back.
It was a fantastic counter-attacking goal finished clinically, reminiscent of his goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup last season from the right-side.
Greenwood is both-footed as this was a reminder. While he has been pigeon-holed as a right-wing option when he is up front, he is just as capable of providing a spark from the left if required.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told the club website: “The way he burst away for that second goal. That’s a man compared to a boy that was in the first team two years ago. I’m delighted with what he has done in pre-season to get his fitness up.”
Greenwood’s all round performance was outstanding. The 19-year-old made five successful dribbles in the win, more than any player on the pitch.
The youngster also won six duels, and scored from one of his three efforts on goal. Of the ball he made five ball recoveries, digging in for the good of the team.
Last season Greenwood took until December to score his first Premier League goal. This time around there is no wait.
Greenwood needed to make the most of his chance to start this season well, with Edinson Cavani and Anthony Martial both behind in their fitness.
The goal takes Greenwood to 30 career goals for the Red Devils. He joins George Best and Norman Whiteside as one of three players under 20 to hit the figure.
United have a special talent on the books and it won’t be long until he reaches 50 goals. Perhaps even this season.
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance