All eyes may be on incoming interim manager Ralf Rangnick right now, meanwhile caretaker boss Michael Carrick is making his own impact.
Carrick began preparations for Manchester United’s weekend match at Chelsea by calling up a number of young players to the first team.
Pictures released from United’s Thursday training session featured Martin Svidersky, a young defensive midfielder who has been a regular for the team’s under-23 team.
Svidersky captained the under-18s last season and has since stepped up, and this is the first time he has been pictured training with United’s first team.
He is seen below in the background in a shot with veteran star Juan Mata.
Svidersky was also seen in a group shot with another couple of youth prospects, midfielder Charlie Savage, and left-back Alvaro Fernandez, with Bruno Fernandes and Marcus Rashford performing the same training drill.
Carrick gives youth a chance
Svidersky, 19, signed for United’s academy as a winger, after overcoming a serious knee injury, he has developed his game into more of a ball-winning midfielder.
The teenager is a Slovakia under-21 international, and he has 11 under-23 appearances for United this season, along with two EFL trophy appearances and four UEFA Youth League games.
It was also notable to see Charlie Savage, another midfielder, called up for the session. Michael Carrick, a former midfielder himself, clearly wanted to take a look at the pair and pass on his own experience.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Jadon Sancho were both pictured in the session, although there was no sign of Mason Greenwood, Edinson Cavani or Luke Shaw, who missed the win over Villarreal for medical or fitness reasons.
Shaw’s absence may also underlined why United called up young left-back Alvaro Fernandez again for the session, with Carrick taking a look at the talented teenager.
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports
- Ralf Rangnick’s comments bring cause for concern for Luke Shaw
- Michael Carrick praises ‘terrific’ Jadon Sancho in press conference
- Manchester United predicted line-up v Chelsea
- German football expert predicts that Sancho will be perfect for Rangnick
- Thomas Tuchel gives his verdict on Ralf Rangnick managing United
- Jurgen Klopp gives his verdict on Manchester United hiring Ralf Rangnick
- Tuchel issues fitness update ahead of Chelsea’s clash against United