Manchester United’s report pursuit of Dayot Upamecano [The Telegraph] would shake up the club’s defensive options.
Upamecano is regarded as one of the best young defenders in world football.
Whether he joins this summer, or next, he would also provide United with a French spine in the team, joining Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial.
Pogba remains one of the world’s most influential midfielders and there is a feeling that United are still to see the very best of him. This coming season could be his best yet.
Pogba and Martial could solidify a partnership which can blossom for club and country, with the United striker recently earning his first international call since March 2018.
Add Upamecano into the mix too, and United would have three top players who could be starring for the tournament favourites to win Euro 2021 next summer.
Both Pogba and Martial would make it very easy for Upamecano to settle in Manchester too.
The same is applicable to Monaco’s Benoit Badiashile, who RMC Sport report is a transfer target for United.
There’s another French talent on the rise
Whether Upamecano signs or not, United have another French talent pushing to make an impression.
Hannibal Mejbri is a player who at just 17, has marked himself out already as a future first team star.
He joined the Red Devils from Monaco last summer and after quickly impressing for the under-18s, made the step up to the under-23s.
Mejbri is likely to make his first team debut over the course of the 2020/21 season, even though competition for places in midfield is intense. He is the type of talent who just can’t be held back.
Add Mejbri into the mix with Pogba, Martial, and even Upamecano, and United’s team of the future could have a very distinct French identity.
There is also promising forward Noam Emeran in the under-18s. He is ready to make an impact this season. In a year’s time he could also be making a name for himself.
- Charlie McNeill scores brace on competitive under-18s debut as Noam Emeran shines
- Joel Pereira’s latest loan spell is doing him no favours so far
- Manchester United’s three best players in U23 win over Everton
- Manchester United fans react to Facundo Pellistri’s under-23s debut
- Tuanzebe could prove Manchester United don’t need Upamecano when they clash
- Facundo Pellistri features as Manchester United U23s secure dramatic late win
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Chelsea
- United won’t break the bank to keep Paul Pogba
- Manchester United could finally get to start defensive trio together this weekend