Manchester United said to be tracking Real Madrid youngster Cesar Gelabert
Having concluded a deal for Czech youngster Radek Vitek, Manchester United are reportedly eyeing another move.
Spanish newspaper AS report United have joined the race for Real Madrid prospect Cesar Gelabert.
United are said to be among a group of teams looking to prise Gelabert away from Madrid.
Arsenal are also claimed to be keen, along with Real’s bitter rivals Barcelona, Lyon, Real Valladolid, and Borussia Dortmund.
Who is Cesar Gelabert?
Gelabert is 19-years-old and plays as a central attacking midfielder.
He plays for Real’s youth side Real Madrid Castilla and is yet to make his first team debut.
Both Real and Barcelona tried to sign him from Hercules in 2015, before the opted for the Bernabeu.
He is described on Real’s official website: “Fast paced and great on the ball best describe this player. César looks confident, incisive and has great vision. He is also very impressive with the ball at his feet.”
His progress was delayed by an ACL injury suffered two seasons ago. He has since recovered and is in demand across Europe.
Gelabert’s contract expires in 2021 and Real want him to sign an extension.
Zinedine Zidane reportedly rates him highly and views him as one of the best young talents in Real’s academy.
Will United move?
At this stage United are said to be just monitoring Gelabert’s situation rather than actively plotting a transfer.
If Real are unable to agree an extension, then United may step up the club’s pursuit.
We have seen in recent years however several times that United’s name is often used in the Spanish media to add pressure on clubs.
It would not be a surprise if Real are able to tie him to a contract extension over the coming weeks.
If he was to sign, Gelabert would only be a back-up. United may be better off putting the effort into renewing Angel Gomes’ signature – or, our suggestion, taking a look at Eberechi Eze.
- Manchester United reignite interest in 20-year-old who cost £4.5m and scored against the Reds last season
- 26-year-old ace shows what he could bring to Ten Hag's Manchester United with match-winning cameo
- 25-year-old ace who reportedly wants Manchester United move has 3 assists in 2 games
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session