Manchester United fans react to Mason Greenwood's late goal in 5-0 win
Mason Greenwood might have been disappointed to only get five minutes as a substitute against LASK. It was all he needed.
Set through on goal from a terrific pass from his under-23 teammate Tahith Chong, Greenwood was left with a tight angle to finish from.
He scored anyway, lashing the ball low past the goalkeeper and in off the far post. It was as clinical a strike as you could expect to see.
It was the fourth goal in the 5-0 win, following strikes from Odion Ighalo, Dan James, and Juan Mata, before Andreas Pereira added a fifth.
If he was annoyed at having to wait on the bench, Greenwood took his frustration out on LASK when he got his chance.
Greenwood is only 18-years-old and has now scored five goals in seven Europa League appearances.
He becomes United’s youngest ever player to score five goals in a European season which does not include qualifiers.
In total this season he has 12 goals in 18 appearances, plus four assists. He is averaging a goal every 103 minutes of game time.
He is likely to start next week at home to LASK and add to his tally, providing the match goes ahead.
United are expected to sign another striker in the summer, even if Odion Ighalo’s deal becomes permanent.
The club will need to consider carefully how it affects Greenwood, who will be expected and ready for even more game time next season than this current one.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to the teenager’s late goal in Austria…
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace