Luton Town provided a competitive test for Manchester United on Tuesday night before two late goals flattered us towards a 3-0 scoreline.
One of United’s most eye catching players before those late goals was Donny van de Beek.
The Dutchman was making his first competitive start in a Manchester United shirt and it was good for him to feature in a win.
Van de Beek’s diagonal run across the box helped create space for Brandon Williams to win the first half penalty.
He came close to scoring in the second half when he saw a close range effort saved by the feet of the goalkeeper.
While against Palace, Van de Beek replaced Paul Pogba when he came off the bench, in this match he was playing in Bruno Fernandes’ attacking midfield role.
The Dutchman played 77 minutes before United made a triple change which helped round off the scoreline.
His one shot on goal was on target and he managed to create one chance too. Defensively he chipped in, making one interception.
It was evident Van de Beek is still working to get on the same wavelength of some of his teammates, or more so that they must adjust to him.
He made a number of clever flicks and touches which his teammates were not quick enough to latch onto. That will come with time, and he would have enjoyed being on the pitch late on with Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood as they ran riot.
He certainly has given himself a chance to get into the starting line up this weekend away at Brighton.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Van de Beek’s performance…
- Anthony Martial must take the positives from a negative start to the season
- United signing Cavani could make Chelsea regret not snapping him up
- Like Rooney, United must allow Greenwood to respond on the pitch
- Pellestri may have to prove his worth with Manchester United’s U23s first
- United loanee Diogo Dalot makes AC Milan debut in Europa League win
- Donny van de Beek will get his chance at United, he just needs to stay patient
- Alex Telles could be Manchester United’s best crosser since David Beckham
- David de Gea is rising to the challenge at United, once again
- Watford fans are raving about United loanee James Garner