Luca Ercolani signs for second club in a year after leaving Manchester United
Back in January, academy defender Luca Ercolani made the decision to quit Manchester United for the sake of his career.
After recovering from a torn ACL suffered in 2019, Ercolani’s already slim first team chances had been reduced to nil, with younger centre-backs overtaking him in United’s plans.
Leaving was the mutually right decision for all parties, so the 21-year-old could kickstart his career and play first team football. It seems to have worked.
Ercolani signed with Italian Serie C club Carpi, focused on simply getting game time. He played 16 times for the club in the second half of the season as the side finished 15th.
Now the young defender is on the move again. At the end of last week he sealed a move to another Serie C side, Catania, who finished sixth in their division last season.
The defender posted on social media: “Delighted to wear this prestigious shirt that I will honour with commitment and passion from the first to the last minute … Forza Catania.”
Ercolani’s move to Carpi had only been on a short-term contract, meaning he was a free agent in the summer.
He was attracted by the move to Sicily based Catania by both location and opportunity, having previously holidayed on the island.
The contract is a one year deal with an option for a further year. Ercolani will hope to keep moving up the football ladder in Italy and fulfil his potential.
The former Manchester United youngster will want all his years in the club’s academy to go to good use. As a former Italy under-20 international, he will have aspirations to climb up to Serie A.
- Manchester United have scouted £43m-valued 'fantastic' striker who Owen Hargreaves loves several times
- Gary Neville gives his verdict on how he thinks Erik ten Hag will replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United
- Manchester United star injures player who made 14 appearances under Ten Hag in World Cup training session
- Alejandro Garnacho gives glowing two-word verdict on Manchester United star's World Cup performance
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign £52m midfielder who won at Old Trafford this season
- 'I could have left for United'… World Cup goalscorer speaks out about failed Old Trafford move
- Jude Bellingham and Wayne Rooney pay tribute to 'absolutely outstanding' Manchester United World Cup star
- Manchester United prospect scores the winner for his loan club during World Cup break
- 'Very proud': Manchester United coach pays tribute to Red Devils forward after his 'beautiful moment' at the World Cup
- Report: Manchester United now set to loan out defender who said he was open to January move
- 'So good': Manchester United star can do 'mad' things with the ball, says international teammate