Luca Ercolani signs for second club in a year after leaving Manchester United
Back in January, academy defender Luca Ercolani made the decision to quit Manchester United for the sake of his career.
After recovering from a torn ACL suffered in 2019, Ercolani’s already slim first team chances had been reduced to nil, with younger centre-backs overtaking him in United’s plans.
Leaving was the mutually right decision for all parties, so the 21-year-old could kickstart his career and play first team football. It seems to have worked.
Ercolani signed with Italian Serie C club Carpi, focused on simply getting game time. He played 16 times for the club in the second half of the season as the side finished 15th.
Now the young defender is on the move again. At the end of last week he sealed a move to another Serie C side, Catania, who finished sixth in their division last season.
The defender posted on social media: “Delighted to wear this prestigious shirt that I will honour with commitment and passion from the first to the last minute … Forza Catania.”
Ercolani’s move to Carpi had only been on a short-term contract, meaning he was a free agent in the summer.
He was attracted by the move to Sicily based Catania by both location and opportunity, having previously holidayed on the island.
The contract is a one year deal with an option for a further year. Ercolani will hope to keep moving up the football ladder in Italy and fulfil his potential.
The former Manchester United youngster will want all his years in the club’s academy to go to good use. As a former Italy under-20 international, he will have aspirations to climb up to Serie A.
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months
- Manchester United can take real positive signs from Ajax's two award winners
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United
- Photo: 17-year-old FA Youth Cup winner signs first Manchester United contract
- Paul Pogba would be Manchester United's big loser if transfer deal for Champions League winner is sealed