The mother of Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata has passed away.
Spanish newspaper La Nueva Espana reported Marta Garcia has died after an illness.
Mata has spoken about his close relationship with his mother before, saying he calls her before every game.
The thoughts of everyone at United in Focus are with Mata and his family at this incredibly tough time.
Mata has a close relationship with club and international teammate de Gea, who has already posted a simple message of support.
Bruno Fernandes also posted a message to Mata, which translates as ‘a very big hug for you and your family, my friend’.
Mata is a hugely popular member of the squad and a true gentleman.
He has only played nine minutes of football for United in 2021.
Recently, he has been ruled out contention for selection.
Perhaps that was the club giving him time to be with his mother and the rest of his family as she battled illness.
- Arnau Puigmal announces Manchester United departure
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United