After five unsuccessful attempts, Manchester United have beaten Nuno Santo’s Wolves.
Juan Mata scored the goal which broke the deadlock at Old Trafford to give United a win.
It came from a counter attack when Mata found himself as United’s most advanced player and he was expertly played in by Anthony Martial, before deftly chipping the ball over an onrushing John Ruddy.
Mata chose a great time to score his first goal of the season, and it comes after his two assists against Norwich at the weekend.
Teammate David de Gea, who was rested for the game, showed his admiration for Mata, via Twitter.
Into the next round
Our opponents for the FA Cup fourth round are yet to be determined, after Tranmere’s replay with Watford was postponed earlier this week.
Next up is a trip to face Liverpool on Sunday, which will be another tough game.
Mata has elevated himself into the conversation to start at Anfield after his performances in United’s last two games.
This was an important win and keeps another shot at silverware alive. It was about time Mata stepped up and justified the contract extension United gave him last summer.
- Trio left out of United squad for Watford after Brugge game, teen trio called in
- Manchester United need to be more proactive over Boubakary Soumare
- Manchester United do not need to overpay for Kalidou Koulibaly
- Manchester United must give Chong and Gomes creative control over their futures
- Solskjaer watches United’s academy as first team players join kids training