Joel Pereira entered last season at Manchester United viewed as third choice.
United then signed Lee Grant, to enable the young goalkeeper to head out on loan.
But after a mixed 2018/19 season, Pereira finds himself behind even Dean Henderson in the pecking order.
Now Pereira is plotting to follow Henderson’s path by signing on loan for an English club, The Telegraph report.
Henderson won wide plaudits after a season at Sheffield United, which led to their promotion.
Pereira meanwhile was out of sight, and largely out of mind, on loan first at Vitoria Setubal in Portugal, and then in Belgium with KV Kortrijk.
Weighing up options
Pereira told The Telegraph he is exploring his options. He is currently with United in Australia on pre-season.
He said: “I think that in this new season it will be important for me to play somewhere, so probably going on loan will be the best option for me, to get some games to come back better and stronger.
“We will see, we are looking at some options. Maybe I will stay in the UK and that will be great for me.”
Pereira needs to choose wisely and pick up some momentum. He’s 23 now, and needs to play.
Getting to play for an English team will raise his profile.
He already has a loan spell at Rochdale under his belt from two seasons ago.
We believe Pereira may be more talented than Henderson. He just needs the right platform to show it.
Next summer the both of them could start to phase out Grant and Romero as back-ups to De Gea.
- Manchester United have a new outright Premier League assist leader
- A closer look at Anthony Martial’s performance
- Solskjaer’s substitutes fail to make impact as United drop points
- Three-batch rule stopped Manchester United from making Eric Bailly their fifth substitute last night
- Three reasons Manchester United should be positive of Champions League qualification