Manchester United fans rave about Fred's performance v Liverpool
A trip to Anfield promised little for Manchester United and ended with a 2-0 loss.
It could have been heavier had goals not been ruled out. But there was also a stretch where we came close to equalising.
Anthony Martial in particular will be replaying one chance he blazed over after nice interplay with Andreas Pereira.
Key to United’s second half fightback was Fred, who was a colossus in midfield.
The Brazilian’s energy and composure helped United to get a foothold back into the game. We just couldn’t take advantage of it.
He was everywhere
If only Fred could shoot, he would be the complete midfielder. He has only scored once for United and this was back in September 2018.
He had one chance in the second half when he found himself through on goal and narrowly shot wide.
Fred had 96 touches, more than any player on the pitch. One ahead of Andy Robertson’s 95.
He created two chances, the joint highest of any United player, made three tackles and four interceptions.
Solskjaer told the club website: “He’s a top, top performer. All the supporters can see now why we believe in him.
“He covers every blade of grass on the pitch and wins challenges. Of course he is more confident on the ball. I’m very pleased with Fred.”
Fred is a key part of this United team, and that wasn’t the case at the start of the season. His performance at Anfield deserved more.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub