Manchester United are eyeing a move for defender Eder Militao, report the Daily Record.
An injury to Victor Lindelof has once again exposed the lack of credible options at centre-back.
No team in the top 10 in the Premier League have conceded more goals than United.
Here are five facts about the potential United target…
1) Militao plays for Porto and is in his first season in Europe. He has featured as a starter in all of their Champions League games
2) In addition to playing as a centre-back, Militao can play as a defensive midfielder. He also featured at right-back for former club Sao Paulo.
3) The 20-year-old won his first cap for Brazil earlier this season, being called into the same squad as Fred in September.
4) United are going to face competition for his signature. Militao has already been linked with moves to Real Madrid and Barcelona this season, and both Chelsea and City were claimed to be interested in the summer.
5) Website Transfermarkt names his most comparable players as Issa Diop – a star Jose Mourinho has admitted admiring – and Nikola Milenkovic, another United target.
While Militao is a bright talent, United have to be careful as to whether he is what the club needs right now.
The pressure at Old Trafford is huge and ideally a more experienced player like Diego Godin or Toby Alderweireld would come in to marshall the backline.
United could go onto regret not signing Militao in the future, but if they are determined to put their faith in a young defender, it would be better to see loaned out Axel Tuanzebe get a proper chance next season.