A new name has emerged on the ever growing list of Manchester United transfer targets.
Portuguese newspaper Record claim United are keen on Benfica ace Ruben Dias.
Dias plays as a centre-back, a position Ole Gunnar Solskjaer badly needs to address.
Here are five facts about the potential summer signing…
- Dias is 21-years-old and already has nine international caps for Portugal. He has made 30 league starts for Benfica this season.
- He has played at Old Trafford already, featuring against United home and away for Benfica in the Champions League group stages in 2017. United won both games 1-0 and 2-0.
- Dias has a release clause in his contract at £51 million. Atletico Madrid and Juventus are both keen on his signature. His current deal runs until 2023.
- Last season he won Portugal’s young player of the year award and was selected in his country’s World Cup squad.
- Dias’ rise to the Benfica first team was accelerated by Victor Lindelöf’s departure to United. He has filled in admirably, with Portuguese website Goalpoint describing him as a near perfect replacement, and making a case that he is even better.
£51 million is a lot of money, but it could turn out to be cheap for a player of his quality.
Dias is regarded as one of the best up and coming defenders in Europe and is comparable to Ajax’s Mattijs de Ligt.
He would be a superb signing, and could strike up a formidable partnership with Victor Lindelöf.
United need to decide whether to go for an up and coming player like Dias, a more expensive defender like Kalidou Koulibaly, or an older and more experienced option in Toby Alderweireld, who is considerably cheaper.
If we are lucky, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may add two.