Edwin van der Sar reacts to Cristiano Ronaldo achievement and Michael Carrick exit
Manchester United’s win over Arsenal was a prelude to a big news day for the club.
United caretaker boss Michael Carrick chose to step down and leave the club, instead of joining Ralf Rangnick’s coaching staff.
Carrick had led United to two wins and a draw in his three matches in temporary charge of the club.
The former midfielder had explained his decision to quit United was a personal choice to spend more time with his family.
Carrick’s former United teammate Edwin van der Sar took to Instagram to praise Carrick, joining similar tributes from Scott McTominay, Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford and Harry Maguire.
Van der Sar also paid attention to another former United teammate, superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, who surpassed 800 career goals.
Ronaldo 800 up
Cristiano Ronaldo’s 800 goals is a staggering feat, with the strikes coming for club and country – where he is the all-time leading international goalscorer.
It felt fitting Ronaldo should score a momentous 800th in a Manchester United shirt, and he quickly followed it up with an 801st.
Ronaldo has 130 goals for Manchester United, a tally he is gradually increasing, having scored 118 in his first spell at Old Trafford.
Many players are done with their careers after turning 36. Yet it feels like Ronaldo is getting a new lease of life at Old Trafford. He will already be plotting his journey towards the 900 milestone.
- Cristiano Ronaldo's potential last hope of a Manchester United exit emerges
- Report explains what specific attributes have attracted Manchester United to Casemiro
- Gary Neville says Manchester United have a player who can be the 2022 version of Roy Keane
- 'Little bit': Ryan Lowe provides fitness update on Manchester United loanee Alvaro Fernandez
- Report: Manchester United have now offered big-money four-year contract to sign midfielder admired by Busquets