De Jong 'could be presented as Manchester United player this weekend', claims journalist
The Frenkie de Jong transfer saga has been keeping Manchester United guessing all summer long, and it could now be reaching a conclusion.
According to Sky Germany journalist Florian Plettenberg, the deal is in the final stages and De Jong could even be presented as a Manchester United player this weekend.
The line about presenting De Jong ‘in the stadium’ we will take with a pinch of salt. This is not a usual method for Manchester United when it comes to introducing new players.
Raphael Varane was presented to fans on the first day of the season last year, but this was a rarity, and United don’t have a home fixture until the friendly against Rayo Vallecano on July 31. Nobody wants to wait another month for De Jong.
While the move is between and English and Spanish club for a Dutch player, Sky Germany are reputable and well sourced, and this update offers hope that a deal will get done imminently.
- FRENKIE DE JONG: Factfile
- De Jong made his Ajax debut in 2018 and by 2019 he was playing in the semi-finals of the Champions League.
- He played 59 games under manager Erik ten Hag, losing only six times.
- Barcelona paid £65 million to sign him, he is their sixth most expensive signing.
- He has played 139 times for Barcelona, scoring 13 times, including in the final as they won the 20/21 Copa del Rey.
- At the age of 25 he already has more than 40 international caps with the Netherlands and is looking ahead to his first World Cup.