David de Gea sends message to United fans following City loss
Despite his glaring error against Manchester City, David de Gea was still head an shoulders above every other Manchester United player.
The Spaniard was fuming with himself after he let Bernardo Silva’s effort, on the stroke of half-time from a tight angle, slip through his grasp.
That meant Pep Guardiola’s side went into the interval 2-0 up and the goal seemingly knocked the stuffing out of the Manchester United fans and players alike.
After the game, United’s number one sent a three-word message to the fans on social media following yet another crushing loss against one of our fiercest rivals.
De Gea made five saves (SofaScore) at Old Trafford and apart from a Joao Cancelo effort, which he tipped over the bar, all of them were incredible stops.
The 31-year-old who celebrates his birthday today managed to deny Gabriel Jesus from point blank range after a Kevin de Bruyne effort had been blocked.
After already seeing Eric Bailly score past him, de Gea’s lightening fast reflexes had to be at their past to prevent Victor Lindelof following suit, the Spanish international got down well to kick the Swede’s skewed clearance away to safety.
Seconds later the former Atletico Madrid stopper flicked away an effort from de Bruyne which was arrowing into the bottom corner.
De Gea wasn’t anywhere near as busy in the second half, but that was because Guardiola’s side took their foot of the gas and just controlled the game.
If they would have maintained their same intensity from the first half, there was every chance things could have got as worst as the 5-0 drubbing to Liverpool.
De Gea will be kicking himself for his error fresh after letting Atalanta’s opener squirm under him midweek.
But in the absence of Raphael Varane, de Gea desperately needs greater protection in front of him.
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United