Many Manchester United supporters wanted to see Dean Henderson come in against Manchester City.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did not take the bold decision, and this reflected United’s performance in a drab 0-0 draw.
David de Gea was selected in goal, and he justified his inclusion.
The Spaniard came into the game under pressure after a midweek gaffe against Leipzig which was partially down to Harry Maguire too.
De Gea was singled out for criticism on BT Sport after the Leipzig game, with Paul Scholes calling his lack of bravery ‘criminal’.
De Gea is in the spotlight especially with Henderson waiting for his chance, so he deserves credit for stepping up against City.
He made one crucial save in the first half from Riyad Mahrez after De Bruyne had played him in on the counter attack.
With the goal gaping, De Gea stood firm to make a crucial one on one save with his foot.
He was largely untroubled for the rest of the fixture as United’s defence stood firm and limited City’s attack.
De Gea is always one big mistake away from being dropped with Henderson behind him, and he dealt with the pressure well.
Even if a number of fans were underwhelmed or disappointed to see De Gea start, supporters were also quick to give praise where it was due and praise the goalkeeper for saving a draw.
- 99 touches, 7 duels won: Manchester United star produces assured performance against West Ham
- 'Didn't put a foot wrong': Manager praises 'outstanding' Manchester United loanee
- 'We knew': West Ham defender gives his verdict on Manchester United after last-gasp defeat
- 'Treading carefully': Manchester United loanee won't return until next month
- 'It doesn't matter how or who': Manchester United star sends passionate message to fans
- Rio Ferdinand mocks his brother after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'He can go to the top': Manager tips 'unbelievable' Manchester United loanee to achieve big things
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Anthony Martial respond to teammate's 'Fergie time' message
- 'Amazing feeling'… Manchester United attacker says it was a dream to hear fans singing his name