Carrick offers fitness update ahead of United's clash with Arsenal
Manchester United caretaker manager Michael Carrick has conducted his pre-match press conference ahead of the clash with Arsenal.
Carrick’s briefing was streamed at 1.30pm on the club’s official app and he was asked for a fitness update on his squad.
As per the club website, Carrick was keen not to give too much away, only confirming that captain Harry Maguire would return to the squad after his one-match suspension.
Edinson Cavani and Luke Shaw are among the players who missed Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea but might hope to be involved against the Gunners.
“Nothing really new,” said Carrick when asked for a fitness update.
“There are always niggles at this time of year, playing a lot of games. There are always players you’re waiting on a little bit, to an extent.
“Obviously, Harry is coming back into the squad after his suspension but we’ll see who is fit and available for tomorrow [Thursday].”
Before the game against Chelsea, Carrick said Fred was an injury doubt and could miss out but the Brazilian started the game and played the full 90 minutes.
Maguire’s last Premier League outing saw him pick up two yellow cards in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s final game in charge, the 4-1 loss at Watford.
He performed well in the Champions League win over Villarreal, but there is an argument for keeping Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof together after their display at Stamford Bridge.
Keeping the club captain on the bench would be a big call from Carrick but he has shown he is not afraid of making those.
Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo have both been benched in his two games in charge so far, so it is by no means a foregone conclusion that Maguire will get his place back immediately.
- 'Perfect club'… Director responds amid 'ongoing' Manchester United attempts for £55m star, it's not good news
- Manchester United talent set to leave on loan after 72 academy appearances
- Ex-Manchester United star comments on De Jong, Arnautovic and 'unacceptable' window as reality hits home
- Erik ten Hag confirms he wants more transfers at Manchester United after opening day defeat
- Manchester United make £6.8m striker bid, star asks to be sold, he wants move badly