Birmingham boss Bowyer praises United loanee Chong
Manchester United loanee Tahith Chong missed Birmingham City’s 0-0 draw against Stoke on Saturday through injury.
But he was back in action last night as the Blues welcomed Bournemouth to St Andrew’s.
Lee Bowyer’s men went down 2-0, but the former Charlton boss lauded Chong in his post-match interview with the club website.
“It was good to have him back,” said Bowyer of Chong.
“It was good for him to get 80 minutes under his belt. He caused them problems, especially first-half, him and [Jonathan] Leko I thought that worked.
“When one was running with it, the other one was running in behind – they are both quick lads.
“Chong is a good player and he can play anywhere. He has played two games now and has played in two different positions, and I am sure he will play in a few more as well! Good players just adapt.”
Chong needs more of the ball
Chong played for 86 minutes last night but only got 21 touches of the ball as Birmingham tried to play a counter attacking style.
He still did his utmost to make an impact; he had three shots, which was more than any teammate.
Chong also laid on a chance with a key pass, and got involved defensively as well.
Only Birmingham’s central defensive duo made more tackles than Chong’s two. He is willing to put the work in defensively.
But Birmingham need to give Chong more service. They have only scored one goal in three league games this season.
It seems Chong is making a strong early impression, not just on the fans but the supporters as well.
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m