Anthony Martial tipped by pundit to make difference in La Liga title race
Manchester United loanee Anthony Martial “could prove the difference” in helping Sevilla oust Real Madrid to the La Liga title.
The French forward has joined Julen Lopetegui’s side on loan for the remainder of the campaign to play regular first team football.
The La Liga giants have no buy option included in the deal, and instead of paying a loan fee, the Europa League side are covering the French international’s wages.
Martial is joining a side that is four points behind La Liga leaders Real Madrid with 16 games remaining.
Sevilla hope that the addition of the 26-year-old will give them the boost and additional firepower to surpass Los Blancos.
Lopetegui’s side have scored 34 top-flight goals this season whereas Carlo Ancelotti’s men have scored 47. Former Wolves man Rafa Mir is the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán side’s top scorer in La Liga with six goals from 20 appearances.
Although Martial has only one goal to his name so far this season, which came back in October, Spanish football expert Alvaro Montero believes the former Monaco man could have a huge impact on the title race.
Speaking on Sky Sports, Montero said: “There’s a feeling at Sevilla that it’s now or never for the Spanish title. The signing of Anthony Martial could prove the difference.
“They are only four points below Real Madrid and they feel they can be champions this year.
“Anthony Martial has taken a pay cut so the player believes in the project. It could be the final piece of the jigsaw.”
Sevilla haven’t won the Primera Division since 1946, but with the addition of United’s number nine, the six-time Europa League winners will fancy their chances of pushing Real Madrid all the way.
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder