Anthony Elanga was included in Manchester United’s travelling party for today’s Champions League clash. And the young Swede needs to take any and all opportunities that come his way this month.
Had Marcus Rashford and Edinson Cavani been fit, Elanga would probably have stayed at home. Instead, he could get a chance to impress.
Equally comfortable on the flank or as a striker, Elanga shone in pre-season, following up his final-day league strike with more impressive finishes.
He could get minutes either this week or in the upcoming League Cup clash. If he does, United fans will hope he delivers. After all, he could be the Red Devils’ latest breakout star.
United are very well stocked in attack. We saw that at the weekend when Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial came off the bench after Jadon Sancho, Mason Greenwood and Cristiano Ronaldo had all started.
But Elanga still has the talent to fight through the crowd.
It is telling that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did not sanction a loan move for Elanga. Instead, he will train with some of Europe’s best attackers and, hopefully, get minutes of his own.
United will not want to take this week’s clash against Young Boys lightly. Three points are vital but, if the game goes smoothly, Elanga may get a chance late on.
Those are the kind of brief opportunities he needs to seize.
A wonderful talent
Elanga is a phenomenal young footballer with the world at his feet. He made considerable progress last season, scoring nine times in 16 U23 outings.
Rotating between left wing and centre forward roles, the 19-year-old looked the part.
He is developing nicely and should, in time, be an out-and-out striker. United already have two of the best in that regard, while their wide forwards are potential world-beaters.
But, with one of each currently absent in the form of Rashford and Cavani, do not be surprised if Elanga gets a chance or two this month.
- Ralf Rangnick says Manchester United have a ‘great player’ who needs to improve physically
- 'Over the moon': Manchester United wonderkid gives verdict on own performance and club's Champions League chances
- Rangnick praises two Manchester United players including one who is a 'fantastic person'
- 'I lost the ball'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for role in Young Boys goal
- 'You deserve'… Bruno Fernandes congratulates teammate on making Manchester United debut