Gary Neville launched into a furious tirade on Sky Sports amid news Manchester United could breakaway and form a European Super League.
United are claimed to be one of six Premier League clubs who have privately agreed to the proposals.
The Mail report the league would be made up of 12 teams, potentially expanding to 15-18.
Neville told Sky: “I think to bring forward proposals in the midst of Covid, in the midst of the economic crisis, is an absolute scandal
“United, and the rest of the ‘Big Six’ clubs that have signed up to it, against the rest of the Premier League, should be ashamed of themselves.
“They should deduct all six teams that have signed up to it. Deduct points from them all.”
Joel Glazer is backing it
The Mail report Joel Glazer is in line to become vice-chairman of the European Super League, with Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke heading it up.
Neville lambasted United’s owners as ‘bottle merchants’, for never speaking up on the football club, and expects them to backtrack.
An announcement is claimed to be being prepared for tonight from the clubs involved.
Football bodies left fuming
UEFA have come out heavily against the plan, in a joint statement with the Premier League and La Liga, they have pledged to ban any club involved from the Champions League.
It remains to be seen how much truth there is in The Mail‘s report. As Neville points out, there could be some serious backtracking.
There has been a huge backlash, and while more scrutiny on the parasitical ownership Glazers is always welcome, they are dragging United’s name through the mud.
- Arnau Puigmal announces Manchester United departure
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training