A look at Charlie McNeill's incredible goal record in Manchester United's academy
Charlie McNeill made the decision to swap the blue side of Manchester for red in 2020 and has not looked back.
The youngster was credited with scoring an incredible, yet unverifiable figure of scoring 600 goals in City’s youth ranks, The Mail reported.
The paper claimed he netted 110 goals and contributed 38 assists in 72 games for City’s under-15s, and while these numbers are wild, McNeill has been busy showing he does indeed have a goalscoring touch.
33 in 44
Since joining United, McNeill has scored 33 goals in 44 academy matches in a Red Devils shirt. The latest came this week in the FA Youth Cup win over Scunthorpe.
McNeill has shown how comfortable he is leading the line for United’s young teams, with nearly all of his goals coming from open play.
This season he has stepped up a level and continued to score regularly, and appeared to have overtaken Joe Hugill as United’s top youth striker even before the ex-Sunderland prospect’s recent injury which will keep him out until the New Year.
8 in 19
This season McNeill has eight goals in 19 games for United’s academy teams. This includes his Youth Cup goal, the under-23s, games in the EFL Trophy, and the UEFA Youth League, with McNeill netting in four different competitions already this season.
McNeill has been on a real scoring spree of late. Having scored just twice before the start of November, McNeill has since hit his stride and has struck six goals in his last seven appearances.
With the academy season now shut down for the year, McNeill will be looking to pick up where he left off when 2022 begins.
25 in 25
Last season McNeill tore it up for United’s under-18 team, scoring 25 goals in 25 games. 24 of these goals came in 21 league appearances at a rate of a goal every 72 minutes he played.
McNeill has subsequently been pushed up a level to the under-23s, where he is starting to blossom too. At just 18-year-old, the promising striker is doing everything United are asking of him.
Recently McNeill trained with the first team, getting the chance to practice alongside fellow academy graduates Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford.
McNeill also spent a week at Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the season on United’s professional development programme.
With Edinson Cavani set to leave in the summer and Anthony Martial also heading for an exit too, there is likely going to be a chance for McNeill to at least get involved in United’s pre-season to show what he can do, if an opportunity does not come beforehand.
42 goal contributions in 44
McNeill is more than just a goal poacher. In addition his 33 goals he has nine assists, making it 42 goal contributions in 44 games.
This side of his game has really developed in 2021. In the first half of last season he did not register a single assist, before adding six for the under-18s in the second half, and he has three in various competitions this season to date.
- Manchester United warned over 'insanely high' fee for attacker Erik ten Hag wants to sign
- Photo: 24-year-old Manchester United man in best shape of his life amid uncertain future
- Manchester United in pole position to seal star's signing as main competitors back out: Report
- Richard Arnold's actions speak louder than his words; Jurrien Timber lacks belief: Opinion
- Manchester United 'preparing offer' for Argentina international centre-back
- Report: Manchester United move in for forward with £86m release clause, bid submitted
- Ten Hag reportedly impressed by 19-year-old Manchester United wonderkid as well as Garnacho
- Manchester United coach in Twitter dig at footballers' summer training videos
- £51m move, £35m swoop, and patient option: 3 Manchester United alternatives to Timber blow