Manchester United predicted line-up v Chelsea
Manchester United caretaker manager will take charge of his first ever Premier League game on Sunday.
United travel to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea on the back of a 2-0 win over Villarreal on Tuesday.
The gameplan will be similar to the one which earned that victory in Spain; be compact, disciplined and patient before springing the counter attack.
That means that there are unlikely to be too many changes to the starting XI.
Enforced defensive change
Captain Harry Maguire is suspended for this game after his red card against Watford in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s final game in charge.
With Raphael Varane injured, Eric Bailly is the obvious choice to come in and partner Victor Lindelof.
He was good in the 2-2 draw against Atalanta but sliced in an own goal within minutes of kick-off in his last outing, the 2-0 Manchester derby defeat.
Luke Shaw remains a fitness doubt, but if he is fit to play, we think he will come in for Alex Telles at left-back.
Fred is another potential absentee, but if he is passed fit, he is likely to play here.
Carrick’s big midfield conundrum is: Bruno Fernandes or Donny van de Beek? He showed his faith in the Dutchman on Tuesday and we think he will keep him in the side here, with Scott McTominay anchoring midfield.
Marcus Rashford was better as a substitute than Anthony Martial was as a starter in Spain, and we think the Englishman will come into the side here.
Tuesday’s goalscorers Jadon Sancho and Cristiano Ronaldo should be guaranteed a start.
In: Shaw, Bailly, Rashford. Out: Telles, Maguire, Martial
Three changes is enough to keep the team fresh and keep Thomas Tuchel guessing, while also sticking broadly to the Villarreal blueprint.
With Ralf Rangnick seemingly poised to be appointed before Thursday’s clash with Arsenal, this looks like Carrick’s only league game as manager. A win at the home of the league leaders would be a great way to sign off.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out