Manchester United look worse with each and every passing game. There was no plastic pitch to blame this one on.
United lost 1-0 at Newcastle after conceding to a Matty Longstaff winner in the second half.
Pressure is seriously mounting on manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He is not helping himself.
One of his more bizarre decisions was to shift Axel Tuanzebe from centre-back to right-back midway through the second half.
This was to accommodate Marcos Rojo in at centre-back, on for Diogo Dalot.
Tuanzebe and Harry Maguire had looked solid, and there was no real reason to break them up.
Ashley Young could have moved to right-back and Rojo brought on at left-back.
Minutes later United conceded after the defence was caught out of position on a counter attack. Sadly it proved decisive.
Up until this point the reaction to Tuanzebe’s performance had been positive.
He had been making his first start at centre-back for United in the Premier League
United fans want to back Solskjaer. But he is giving more and more reason for concern.
His substitutions and team selections continue to be poor and this was one costly instance.
There are serious problems at United right now. An inability to score goals is a clear one.
Adding to that by needlessly destabilising the defence only makes life more difficult.
- Ramazani may have easier route to Manchester United first-team than Mejbri
- Both Odion Ighalo’s clubs will benefit if Manchester United loan is extended
- David Brooks would be a smart Sancho alternative for Manchester United this summer
- If Manchester United have ruled out permanent Ighalo move, they must focus on Dembele
- Manchester United could see reported target Nuno Mendes as a winger in the long term