Even on a busy day on which Jadon Sancho’s transfer was confirmed, Manchester United did not forget to acknowledge a milestone moment for Phil Jones.
The date marked 10 years since Phil Jones’ transfer from Blackburn Rovers to Manchester United was completed.
It has been quite a journey, and has not worked out entirely as Jones would have liked.
The last few years have been especially painful for Jones.
He was bizarrely handed a new contract by the club in 2019 and has missed the entire 2020/21 season with injury.
The last game he played was the 2-0 home defeat to Burnley in January 2020.
In recent years Jones has become more of a meme than a footballer, acknowledged for making silly faces and heading the ball while on the ground.
Much of that is unfair of course. Jones was one of English football’s brightest prospects when United signed him in 2011.
Under Sir Alex Ferguson, Jones won the Premier League title, playing 17 league games in the successful 2012/13 season.
Jones has made a total of 224 appearances for United, the 92nd highest in club history. That’s more than Ruud van Nistelrooy and Park Ji-Sung both managed.
If not for injuries Jones would have accomplished a lot more, and it is easy to forget he was part of England’s 2018 World Cup squad.
Jones is now entitled to a testimonial, although it is highly unlikely he would seek to take this option up.
The centre-back is still only 29 and has one more year left on his current deal. It’s possible he is sent out on loan this year, while United would cash in if an offer came in.
United’s announcement stirred a mixture of emotion, with supporters wishing Jones could have fulfilled his potential. While others recalled some of the more amusing moments of Jones’ spell at Old Trafford. Here’s a look…
A decade at Old Trafford, just 3 productive years. Sad.— Uncle Wilsøn™ (@iam_wilsons) July 1, 2021
Sancho announcement and Phil Jones content on the same day, could life get any better😍— Dara🇮🇪 Ole’s Burner (@utd_dara) July 1, 2021
Was actually a great defender back in the day, just ruined by injuries.— Alex (@AA_utd) July 1, 2021
Give him a testimonial. Give his 4 jersey to "Varane" 😬😁— Tosin Akingba™ (@venusakingba) July 1, 2021
No matter what people say, he always gave his best for the shirt. A shame his injuries got the best of him, but I've truly liked this player all along. Happy anniversary Jonesy— Redeviljin (@redeviljin7) July 1, 2021
Thanks for all the great memories, but its time to replace him with @raphaelvarane— “. (@Wrzzer10) July 1, 2021
This guy will last longer than Old Trafford😂😂😂— Sani🇬🇭 (@Sani__UtD) July 1, 2021
- Charlie Savage: The Manchester United talent who wants to become his own man
- Wagner highlights challenges of facing Rangnick's Manchester United
- 'The future'… Several Manchester United fans excited for Rangnick to unleash 19-year-old whizkid tonight
- 'Baller': Angel Gomes raves about Manchester United star who impressed him so much in training
- What channel is Manchester United v Young Boys on tonight? KO time, live stream and team news
- Manchester United add five extra young players to Champions League squad
- How have Young Boys fared since beating Manchester United in September?
- Rangnick gives further clues on how Manchester United will line-up, wants to see youngsters
- Ralf Rangnick says Manchester United veteran is not under first team consideration
- 4-2-2-2: Predicted Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Amad and Elanga to start