Manchester United fans can't believe Fred has scored more league goals than Lionel Messi
Fred came off the bench to to score Manchester United’s third goal in the 4-2 win over Leeds.
The Brazilian was brought on as a second half replacement for Paul Pogba, to freshen up United’s midfield.
Ralf Rangnick was probably not expecting him to score a crucial goal, but Fred happily obliged after being teed up by Jadon Sancho.
Fred doesn’t score often, this was just his seventh ever goal in a Manchester United shirt.
Crucially, three of them have come this season, also netting on the first day of the season against Leeds and a winner against Crystal Palace in Ralf Rangnick’s first game in charge.
More than Messi
Fred’s record of three goals is a personal best for him in a United shirt, but a fairly non-descript record for other midfield players.
And yet, remarkably, Fred’s tally of three league goals is more than Lionel Messi has scored in Ligue 1 for PSG all season.
Messi has only two league goals for PSG in 15 total appearances. It is a bizarrely low record for the Argentine, who many expected would go onto set records in France.
It must be noted that Messi has eight assists in the league to Fred’s three, but when it comes to scoring, the United midfielder holds his own, and it is totally bizarre that the two should be so close in the first place.
Messi does have six other goals in other competitions, making it eight in total, and it would be nine if he hadn’t missed his Champions League penalty against Real Madrid the other night.
When it comes to netting in the league, he has been found wanting. Fred on the other hands is exceeding expectations every time he finds the net, and it is great to see.
United fans can’t believe Fred is outscoring Messi and took to social media to express surprise and amazement…
- Barcelona 'have already prepared a farewell video' for Frenkie de Jong ahead of Manchester United move
- 22-year-old Manchester United attacker could sign with Malacia's club, 'talks imminent'
- '100 per cent'… Champions League winner has tipped imminent Manchester United signing to cause 'headaches' for opponents
- 4 players impacted by Malacia to Manchester United, two could be sold
- 6 Belgium players who have represented Manchester United as 52-cap star interests Ten Hag