Harry Maguire’s disastrous season continued with a nightmare for England.
After playing a part in Manchester United conceding 11 goals in three games in the Premier League to start the season, Maguire was recalled to the England squad.
He was solid enough against Belgium at the weekend, but tonight’s friendly against Denmark was a disaster.
Maguire was sent off after half an hour, after picking up a second booking.
The second yellow came after his poor control gave the ball away in the Denmark half, and his desperate lunge to win the ball back earned a booking.
Maguire looked utterly disconsolate after the red card was given.
He had the look of a man who is seeing absolutely nothing go his way.
It’s pretty clear right now that Maguire is not himself. Last season he was a consistent performer for United. Now he can’t do anything right.
Maguire had a busy season last year, playing in 54 games, before a traumatic summer which saw him arrested in Greece.
While the BBC reported his conviction was quashed, he still endured a mentally challenging moment.
Now it appears to have affected his form on the pitch. United have felt the brunt of it, and so have England.
This kind of performance was a cry for help. Maguire may get it. He looks like a player in need of a rest.
These performances are not Maguire’s true level, and it’s clear something is not right.
Rather than lay into him, fans have rallied round and there are calls for him to get a break. He looks like he needs it…
- Facundo Pellistri comments on going out on loan
- Shaw and Fernandes named in ‘team of the month’ after impressive displays
- Three reasons Manchester United must start Donny van de Beek against Palace
- Zaha likely to miss United v Palace clash
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic injury blow tips Europa League tie firmly in United’s favour
- Are Manchester United really going to walk away from record-setting Sancho?
- United prospect Charlie McCann is making people sit up and take notice
- Mason Greenwood needs to channel Wayne Rooney to reach the next level
- Emeran and Hoogewerf step forward as United push more talent to under-23s
- United talent Ethan Laird shines again on loan for MK Dons