Manchester United fans react to Brandon Williams' debut performance
What a match for Brandon Williams to make his Manchester United debut. While most supporters will want to forget it, Williams won’t do.
The Carabao Cup tie with Rochdale was a nervous game and the youngster came on at half-time with the score goalless.
Williams played a role in United’s opener, beginning a move in the final third. Jesse Lingard would later lay the ball off to Mason Greenwood, who did the rest.
19-year-old Williams was pictured wheeling off after Greenwood in celebration.
To say it was a perfect debut would be false. Rochdale’s equaliser came from a strike down his side at left-back, and United were opened up even before Greenwood’s goal down his flank, leading to Wan-Bissaka clearing one off the line.
Poor protection from midfield was a factor and Williams is still learning. .
In possession he is very comfortable and this was evident. He touched the ball 46 times in 45 minutes. Williams also made two interceptions and two clearances.
He won two aerial duels, the same as Aaron Wan-Bissaka managed in 90 minutes, and completed 94.4 per cent of his passes, via Whoscored.
United are crying out for more competition for Luke Shaw at left-back and potentially Williams can overtake Ashley Young as back-up. This was a positive first step.
Here is a look at how fans reacted to Williams’ debut performance…
- 'Special' player is a perfect fit for Manchester United, says ex-Red Devils star
- Manchester United players welcome new signing Tyrell Malacia to club
- 'Love his style': Tyrell Malacia hoping to emulate and surpass Manchester United legend who won 6 major trophies
- 'One of our own': Feyenoord post emotional message asking Manchester United to look after their former star
- 'Tremendous': Manchester United's first signing of the Ten Hag era speaks in glowing terms about his new manager