Willy Kambwala makes Manchester United under-18s return
Manchester United youngster Willy Kambwala has made his return to action.
Kambwala signed from Sochaux on deadline day in October 2020 as an academy signing, at just 16.
RMC Sport reported United paid £3.6 million to sign Kambwala, and he was the last foreign under-18s player United signed before Brexit rules came into effect.
Kambwala played one game for United last season in a victory over Derby County in late October. He impressed in that game, keeping a clean sheet in a 4-0 win.
The France under-17s captain then suffered misfortune, with an injury keeping him out of the rest of the campaign.
Today after 11 months out, Kambwala made his return for United’s under-18s side.
Back in action
Kambwala was named in a matchday squad for the first time since his academy debut.
The teenager was named on the bench in the Premier League Cup game against Birmingham for the under-18s..
This in itself was progress, and he came on to play the last 20 minutes of the game.
United won the match 8-2 with Manni Norkett and Alejandro Garnacho both scoring hat-tricks.
Neither of the two goals United conceded came during the time Kambwala was on the pitch.
United will look after the young defender carefully, but it is great to see him back in action and hopefull this will be the first of many appearances he makes this season.
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag