Hannibal Mejbri is an eye-catching player in every way. His performance against Salford City may have been one of his best yet.
United’s under-21 side entered the game with expectations tempered, after the under-23s were beaten 5-0 by Doncaster Rovers last week in a friendly.
In this EFL Trophy fixture with Gary Neville watching on and commentating for Salford City TV, United’s youngsters really turned up.
The youngsters embarrassed Salford at their own ground, winning 6-0.
Hannibal Mejbri led the mauling, scoring the first goal inside the first 10 minutes.
Arnau Puigmal netted another to put United two goals up by half-time.
Straight after the break, Mejbri delivered a curling free-kick which Mark Helm headed in.
Helm went on to score another goal, with Charlie McCann and Anthony Elanga also netting. James Garner also impressed with two assists.
Mejbri has fans excited
Playing in an attacking midfield role, Mejbri’s range of passing and maturity in possession demonstrates why United paid a premium to sign him from Monaco last season.
He drifted in and out of the game in the first half, before really taking over in the second as United ran rampant.
The teenager is only 17, so it is important to accept he still has a long way to go, but this was the kind of night which signals United will not be able to hold him back for long.
Mejbri is a kid destined for the very top, and it would not be a surprise at all if he made his debut this season, even as soon as this month in the EFL Cup.
Here is a look at how supporters reacted on social media to his performance…
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool