Frenkie de Jong gets engaged: Donny van de Beek sends congratulations
Manchester United have been waiting on a Frenkie de Jong announcement.
Well here we are, sort of. The Netherlands midfielder has dropped major personal news: He is engaged.
De Jong announced the news along with pictures of his proposal to new fiancee Mikky Kiemeney.
The happy couple have been on holiday together in the USA and Mexico over the past week.
Frenkie de Jong gets engaged
De Jong’s message drew a response from his former Ajax teammate and Manchester United star, Donny van de Beek, who offered his congratulations.
The pair could soon be linking up together at Old Trafford; this week De Jong even ‘liked’ a picture Van de Beek posted from training under new boss Erik ten Hag.
Newspaper Sport report De Jong’s advisors are encouraging him to make a fresh start at Old Trafford, with Barcelona making clear he can leave.
That’s why De Jong’s engagement is so timely. It is a major moment in his personal life, and a great time to make a fresh start, and lay down some roots somewhere new. Manchester would be the perfect place.
- FRENKIE DE JONG: Factfile
- De Jong made his Ajax debut in 2018 and by 2019 he was playing in the semi-finals of the Champions League.
- He played 59 games under manager Erik ten Hag, losing only six times.
- Barcelona paid £65 million to sign him, he is their sixth most expensive signing.
- He has played 139 times for Barcelona, scoring 13 times, including in the final as they won the 20/21 Copa del Rey.
- At the age of 25 he already has more than 40 international caps with the Netherlands and is looking ahead to his first World Cup.