Five facts about Manchester United transfer target Dan James
Manchester United have been linked with a move for Swansea City’s Dan James.
The Mail report United lead the chase for James, who is valued at £10 million.
Here are five facts about the potential signing…
- James, 21, is a regular for Swansea City, where he has scored five goals in 37 games this season.
- He is an international for Wales where he plays under Ryan Giggs. The ex-United star told The Argus two months ago after his winner against Slovakia: “His overall game was fantastic, and to top it with a goal was great. He was just a threat all day. He is a talent, and when you have got that raw pace you are a threat at any level.”
- James almost signed for Leeds in January, even having a medical, before Swansea’s owners pulled the plug on a deal.
- He has been compared to Welsh teammate Gareth Bale, and his pace saw him score a solo run against Brentford earlier this season, in which he covered 84 yards in 8.48 seconds.
- Two years ago James went on loan to Shrewsbury Town, and was sent back after failing to earn a single appearance.
There are obvious concerns over whether James has the quality to be a weekly starter for United, but these are the types of deals United need to start gambling on.
James has the one asset opponents hate the most, speed, and he is being tutored by two of the very best wingers his country has ever produced, Ryan Giggs and Gareth Bale.
Taking a low-cost gamble on James would be preferable to laying out huge sums on an aging Bale.
Giggs’ vouching for him is reason enough to have faith that he could be an unpolished gem, so long as there are bigger names coming in too.