Donny van de Beek and David Beckham react to dramatic Formula 1 finale
The Formula 1 season came to a dramatic finale at the weekend in Abu Dhabi.
Max Verstappen was the winner, after overtaking Lewis Hamilton on a dramatic and controversial final lap.
The win was celebrated by a Manchester United star past and present – for different reasons.
Happy Van de Beek
United midfielder Donny van de Beek was thrilled for his compatriot Max Verstappen to win the Formula 1 title.
He sent a message on social media congratulating his fellow Dutchman on his dramatic victory.
Becks also a fan
Former United hero David Beckham also congratulated Verstappen, and shared a picture of the young racer with his dad when he was a youngster.
Ex-United star was on the grid
Former United star Patrice Evra was left disappointed. He had travelled to the race in Abu Dhabi and was seen on the grid walk before the race.
Evra shared a video supporting Lewis Hamilton before the race. Hamilton had led the world championship before the final lap.
Disappointment for Manchester United sponsors
The big losers from the late drama from a Manchester United perspective were club sponsors TeamViewer.
TeamViewer sponsor Hamilton’s Mercedes Formula 1 team, who were hoping to win the driver’s championship through Hamilton.
While Mercedes won the constructors championship for best team, it was a mere consolation, with Hamilton’s defeat overshadowing the team success.
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out