Who is reported Manchester United target Kyron Gordon?
According to reports, Manchester United are tracking young Sheffield United talent Kyron Gordon.
The Mail report United are among four top half Premier League sides eyeing a move for the young defender.
So what can we tell you about the talented prospect…?
1) Kyron Gordon is an 18-year-old centre-back on the fringes of Sheffield United’s first team.
2) He has been an unused substitute twice in the FA Cup and once in the Premier League this season.
3) Gordon has just one year left on his contract at Sheffield United, which could prompt the Blades to cash in.
4) He plays for Sheffield United’s table-topping team in PL2 Group A. The team has conceded just 19 goals in 20 games.
5) Gordon recently told Sheffield United’s YouTube channel he can’t wait to play each week, is excited to make his first team debut, and loves to push his teammates to become better.
How would he fit in?
It’s really important to point out Kyron Gordon would be a signing for Manchester United’s under-23 team, and not the senior squad.
This is also a position United need to strengthen. The defence has been the weak spot for United’s under-23s next season.
Teden Mengi is expected to go out on loan next season again, while Will Fish has found the step up to under-23 football tricky.
From the under-18s, Bjorn Hardley will step up next season. Willy Kambwala could, if he makes a swift recovery from the injury which has curtailed his first season at the club.
United could also choose to sign Gordon and send him out on loan, possibly back to the Blades. With relegation pretty much a certainty, there will be a clearout, which could provide Gordon with chances, if loaned back to the club.
Most likely though, Manchester United would want Gordon in with the under-23s for at least six months before considering a loan deal.
With Brexit rules tightening the recruitment of young players from abroad, it makes sense for United to be running the rule over Gordon.
The player will have to decide what is in his best interests, and his contract situation means a choice will have to be made this summer, to renew, or look elsewhere.
For United, a move for probably under £5 million could be worth the gamble.
Sheffield United have a track record of producing good young players, including Kyle Walker, and our very own club captain Harry Maguire.
Indeed if the Red Devils had raided the Blades to sign Maguire when he was a youngster, it could have saved a lot of money.
- Most duels lost v City: Manchester United need far more from 28-year-old star
- Manchester United's 4 worst players in 6-3 hammering against Manchester City
- Erik ten Hag explains what he told his Manchester United players at half-time, gives Varane injury update
- Erik ten Hag explains why he didn't bring Cristiano Ronaldo on against Manchester City
- 'Unacceptable': Erik ten Hag gives scathing assessment of Manchester United's performance after City demolition
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo and Sir Alex Ferguson react to Manchester United getting hammered by Manchester City
- 5 things we learned from Manchester City 6-3 Manchester United
- Gary Neville and Rio Ferdinand react to Manchester United's diabolical first half performance against Manchester City
- Erik ten Hag explains his Manchester United team selection against Manchester City
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Manchester City: Ten Hag makes one change to side that beat Sheriff