Manchester United are being linked with a move for Joachim Andersen, ahead of the summer transfer window.
Question marks persist over Eric Bailly’s future and United conceded another soft goal on Sunday against Brighton.
The Daily Telegraph report United are among the clubs tracking the 24-year-old central defender. So who is the potential summer signing?
1) Andersen is a Lyon player but is currently on loan at Fulham. The Cottagers do not have a purchase clause in that arrangement.
2) Andersen is a Danish international and has played four times for his country, having made his debut in 2019.
3) He is a defensive leader and an organiser, who is adept at protecting his penalty box. He has made an average of five clearances a game in the Premier League this season. For context, Harry Maguire has made 3.8.
4) Andersen is adept on the ball too, and has experience of playing a holding midfield role for Lyon at times.
5) United were linked with Andersen back in January 2019, when the Manchester Evening News reported he had been scouted for several months.
Could a deal happen?
United reportedly face competition from Tottenham and Leicester for Andersen’s signature.
The Telegraph also claim that another Premier League club have already made a firm offer for the Dane.
His future will be decided at the end of the season, by which time we’ll of course know whether Fulham are still a top flight club.
Even if they are, Andersen could have his head turned by the lure of a side playing European football.
Andersen might not some United fans excited, but he looks a realistic target.
Lyon are looking for a fee of around £25 million, which is affordable for United.
And Andersen has shown what he can do in the Premier League this season, standing out in a struggling team.
He wouldn’t solve the lack of pace in United’s central defensive partnership, but he is commanding and assured on the ball, with plenty of time to improve further.
United didn’t take the plunge in 2019 before he joined Lyon from Sampdoria. We’ll see if they take their interest further this summer.
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final